Georgia Kayak Fishing Logo
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hickory Log Creek Reservoir
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member

I had been talking to the Project Manger for over a year the original open date was April 2012. The last time I talked to him was March 8 2013 and he said he was not sure it would be ready to open by March 15. My daughter e-mail me link from the City of Canton about the March 22 Ribbon cutting.It said nothing about opening before that. I had copy and pasted the entire article about it. I also was upset about the wrong information.
https://local.nixle.com/alert/4972049/

I wish I had known they were opening sooner. But I did make it up there today. There was a good size crowd but not as big as what was reported for Saturday.I caught several small bass and they were all released. I seen some bigger bass caught and released. Between my daughter and her boyfriend and myself we caught sixteen nice crappie. We did keep them to cook tomorrow.Just those slabs did fill up a bucket. However with five people eating I'm not sure they will be enough to fill us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 pm 
Moderator Benefactor Member

Everybody has their opinions on how/what should go on up there. If you ask me, turn it into Lake Varner with Trophy Bass/Hybrids. Beyond that, if it's legal, do what you please. It's also highly likely that the traffic will calm down and become similar to that of other local reservoirs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member

IMO they should not have even built it. We really don't need anymore dams on out tributaries. They did this to sale water to Atlanta.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm 
Mahi-Mahi

Well (deep subject) Randy, where would you propose Atlanta get its water? There's been at least one ruling that says that Atlanta can no take water from Lanier. Never understood that one. I mean, I know it's to save some purple fringe scallop or something during times of drought. But some of these extended droughts would have dried up the Hooch so those scallops would have died years ago. The purpose of the dam (Buford) was to generate electricity, NOT to provide continued flow during drought.
Atlanta is the economic engine of the south. Without water, it will fail. Sure, some people will survive here but most of our incomes would wither. That's not just Atlantans mind you, that's Georgians. You don't want Atlanta to go thirsty.

Native Manta Ray 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
Supporting Member

well, maybe Atlanta shouldn't get water from the CHat, or any other river in Ga, TN, Al or NC. we will buld a salt water desalinazation project in the Augusta area and ruin the fishing there too? Grow up, the water belongs to God, we just use it for whatever we want, Not what he wants.

JMHO.
Sorry bout the rant

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Mahi-Mahi

CharlieL wrote:
well, maybe Atlanta shouldn't get water from the CHat, or any other river in Ga, TN, Al or NC. we will buld a salt water desalinazation project in the Augusta area and ruin the fishing there too? Grow up, the water belongs to God, we just use it for whatever we want, Not what he wants.

JMHO.
Sorry bout the rant

Was that "grow up" for me? I guess it could be, I do tend to annoy people sometimes.
When I hear people talking about not building dams or not taking water from a river, they're usually only talking about the negative impact of doing these things. They should also consider the negative impact of not doing them. And they should also consider where they get their water from.
We should be smart about where we get our water. From all the evidence I have seen, Lanier makes perfect sense for Atlanta's water supply. If there was no dam there, the Hooch, at least down to about Yellow Jacket creek, would have been a trickle many times over the last 4-5 years. God would have been letting those scallops die. Instead, we have to get our water from other sources and keep the life-giving water flowing to Florida.
I love scallops! Yum!

Native Manta Ray 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm 
Redfish

I look at it like this...a area can only support so much. once you pass that you are asking for trouble. You wouldn't put 500 head of cattle in a pasture meant for 100, they would starve. Randy has a great point in that by creating ANOTHER reservoir, that is less water going into the ground table/aquifer, rivers, etc and more being evaporated and dumped somewhere else all to fill a select few individuals pockets. These things NEED to happen in order to sustain a balance and allow areas to recover. Atlanta is well "over-populated" as it is, and as things go further out of whack in places like Detroit, New York, etc, those people are creating a constant flow to the area...this creates a even greater need for the limited resource of fresh water...cause it is limited. Not to mention other resources like power, gas, school dollars, medical funds, etc. People have a hard time realizing these things, and by no means am I saying that anyone here doesn't, and simply assume that you can just put a straw into another cup an suck it dry...Eventually, you will have nothing but empty cups. Better hope whats happening in my home of central Texas doesn't happen here, cause that drought is destroying everything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 pm 
Lifetime Member

I think you explained that better than I would have. Great post. Add to that all the water that Atlanta wastes and the problem compounds itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:27 pm 
Mahi-Mahi

You call it wasting, we call it bathing. :D

Seriously, Atlanta became dependent on Lanier for water and that privilege was severely threatened (I think we still get water there because the original court order was over-ruled). Other sources had to be secured. Too bad Atlanta didn't participate in the costs of Buford Dam back in the 50's (?) and get the right to take water from the lake. BTW, I don't hear too much complaining about that impoundment.

Native Manta Ray 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am 
Benefactor Member

I live in metro Atl, and enjoy lots of water as much as anyone, but until we get serious about conservation, I can't see building more reservoirs just to continue feeding our wasteful habits.
Maybe when I can drive thru a Cobb county neighborhood and not see sprinklers going in every other yard and water running down the street, or go to my local shopping center and not find the sprinklers at full blast during a rain.

But, don't get me wrong - I will fish the reservoirs already built. :)

Profile E-mail